From a humble beginning in 1888 when land was dedicated as a site for a cemetery and following its first interment recorded on 21 August 1893, Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park has emerged into this century as a cemetery with over 65,000 interments that have met, and continue to meet, the diverse needs of many denominations and ethnic communities.
With choice for burial declining in comparison to the number of cremations that take place, the cemetery increasingly is a place of choice for religious traditions that do not condone cremation. Future development plans for the cemetery will reflect the needs of these communities and assure an appropriate final resting place for their loved ones.
The cemetery is also home to Pioneer Memorial Park, a heritage listed landmark of NSW, where memorials of early pioneers and prominent citizens of the colony of New South Wales still stand today due to the dedicated effort of Fred W. Read and fellow Botany Cemetery Trustees who created Pioneer Park in 1976.
The Crematorium was opened in 1938 and increasingly plays a greater role in the public's relationship with the Park. As more and more people choose to be cremated, families place great value on our exquisite art deco chapels and beautiful award winning memorial gardens. The Chapels and grounds offer families the very best in funeral care and memorialisation options and our caring staff support each family to farewell and memorialise their loved one in the way they feel is most appropriate.